Text Size:

This week's Here's To Your Health is a continuation of Sister Ruth's story. Her story ended last week with...I had to wait until my 16th birthday to become a nun. On my 16th birthday in 1942, I entered the Sisters of St. Joseph Convent in Tipton, Indiana and finished high school there in the convent. It was a lot like home, it was a very structured and rigid existence, with many rules, sort of like the military where you must be at a certain place at a certain time. I followed all the rules and was a good nun.

We had a prayer book about the size of our Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous) and there were no spontaneous prayers in it. Everyday prayer session was just one more job I had to do, it took about an hour and after it was over I was glad to have it done. After high school, I entered nursing school and as soon as I finished training, I was shipped out to Oregon and it was the first time I'd ever been out of Indiana. In Oregon I went to work in surgery and I loved it. I worked my tail off and for the first time in my life, doctors and supervisors complimented me and the more they complimented me the harder I worked.

Time went on and I returned home (Yoder IN) about every three years on vacation. I started drinking beer at home with my father and liked it. I didn't get drunk and I never drank back in Oregon, but I began to look forward to coming home, visiting my family and having more beer. In hindsight I now see that looking forward to that beer should have been an early warning signal, but I liked the taste of it.

As the years passed in Oregon, I often rode my bicycle while wearing a full habit, we pinned up our dresses and away we went. In those days, I was the flying nun, but one day I had a terrible bicycle accident, it was not alcohol related, but nevertheless it left me with a serious head trauma. I started having black outs and could no longer be a super nurse and so I began suffering from chronic depression. When the amnesia hit me I couldn't even finish writing on the chart and I had to lay down somewhere and come back later. The doctors put me on anti-depressants and somewhere during that time frame I started drinking alcohol. We were allowed to drink and one of the nuns suggest I should have some wine to cheer me up and the next thing I knew a beautiful glow came over me and then I started hiding bottles of wine, but it was gradual.

As time went on we were invited to a thanksgiving dinner and nine of us nuns went to the dinner. The host had a full bar set up with hard liquor and guess what happened? I spent most of the night in the bathroom because I was sick and couldn't eat dinner. After I slept it off, the next day I had a terrible hangover and couldn't remember what I'd done.

The Waynedale News Staff
Author: The Waynedale News Staff
About This Author
Our in-house staff members work with community members and our local writers to find, write and edit the latest and most interesting news worthy stories. This is your community newspaper, we are always looking for local stories that interest you.Read More...

Free E-mail Subscription

Receive the Waynedale News every two weeks via e-mail!
* indicates required