Waynedale History

Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne written by long-time Fort Wayne Journalist, Herbert G. Bredemeir was presented before the Fort Wayne Quest Club 28 January 1966: The Fort Wayne Times, a Whig paper was established in 1841 by George W. Wood. There were 3,173 weekly's published that year compared to 387 dailies. Railroads and the telegraph encouraged additional rural papers, whose editors were only too happy to tap the main stream of national communication. The Post Office Act of 1851 gave...

Read more ...

Silver service created for Indiana battleship returns to Hoosier state for public display.

 

After 76 years at sea, the complete sterling silver service created for the USS Indiana in 1896 was reunited in a special ceremony at the Indiana War Memorial in Indianapolis. First Lady Cheri Daniels unveiled the collection which is now on display at the USS Indianapolis Museum at the Indiana War Memorial.

"Adding these distinctive pieces to the museum's collection means much to the USS...

Read more ...

Colorful Journalism in Fort Wayne is a continuation from an essay written by Herbert G. Bredemeir and presented to the Fort Wayne Quest Club 28 January 1966: Interested citizens of Fort Wayne in 1833 decided to invite Thomas Tigar and S.V.B. Noel to move from Indianapolis to Fort Wayne and start publication of a newspaper. Financial backing for the city's first newspaper was promised in the amount of $500 by Henry Rudisill, Dr. Lewis J. Thompson, Joseph Holman. C. W. Ewing, Allen Hamilton and...

Read more ...

Free E-mail Subscription

Receive the latest Waynedale News by e-mail every issue!
* Means Required Field

First Name *

Last Name

Email *

Phone Number
(Cell Phone Texts)

Zip-Code *