Free E-mail Subscription  

Receive the latest Waynedale News by e-mail every issue!
* Means Required Field

First Name *

Last Name

Email *

Phone Number
(Cell Phone Texts)

Zip-Code *

   

Waynedale History

THE INTERURBAN - ITS BOOM AND BUST PART III

Details

A timber and debris dam had been constructed on the St. Joe River about 7 miles northeast of Fort Wayne to collect feed water for the Wabash and Erie Canal. The reservoir resulted in a beautiful lagoon surrounded by trees. The Citizens Street Railroad that became the Fort Wayne Street Railroad and eventually the Fort Wayne Traction Company purchased 265 acres of adjacent land, acquired the rights to the dam and feeder canal and announced a $300,000 development program in 1895.

The grand...

Read more...

INTERURBAN BOOM AND BUST

Details

In 1887 'at the courthouse door' the assets of the Citizen's Street Railroad (CSR) were sold to John Bass, Steven Bond and Frank DeHaas Robinson who reorganized the company as the Fort Wayne Street Railroad. That same year C.L. Centlivre entered the street railroad business. Since his brewery was outside the city limits, he had to get permission from the County Commissioners to lay a track down Spy Run Avenue from the St. Mary's River to his beer garden. He was not permitted to connect his...

Read more...

THE INTERURBAN BOOM AND BUST

Details

The following story, "The Interurban-Its Boom and Bust", was presented by Jack F. Stark for the Fort Wayne Quest Club on February 17, 1984. Members of Fort Wayne's Quest Club gave many witty, informative and colorful lectures between the years 1945-1994 that covered a variety of topics all of which are pertinent parts of Fort Wayne's history. Sixteen of these lectures were later selected by the club and compiled into a book, "The Quest for Fort Wayne," published in 1994; an Anthology of Papers...

Read more...

   

More By This Author

something