Free E-mail Subscription  

Receive the latest Waynedale News by e-mail every issue!
* Means Required Field

First Name *

Last Name

Email *

Phone Number
(Cell Phone Texts)

Zip-Code *

   

Waynedale History

LOOKING BACK AT WAYNEDALE HISTORY

Details

The Tower and the Church

 

In the late 1920's a first lone gasoline pump occupied the northwest corner of Old Trail and Lower Huntington Roads, where East of Chicago Pizza now resides. The sign at the corner often said: 'Out of Gas.' This single pump was replaced by three new pumps owned by the Tower City Service Station. They supplied Regular and Ethyl gasoline as well as Kerosene. Kerosene was a needed fuel for both heating and cooking and was heavily used during the depression...

Read more...

LUTHERAN FOUNDATION HISTORY

Details

Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1904 was a historic and eventful day for hundreds of Missouri Synod Lutherans of Fort Wayne and vicinity. It was truly a joyous day of Thanksgiving as they gathered together with friends and neighbors to participate in the dedication and formal opening of Lutheran Hospital, at Fairfield and Wildwood Avenues. The Judge Lindley M. Ninde's 21-room homestead, which had been purchased in 1903, was rehabilitated and converted into a 25-patient-bed facility. Plans for...

Read more...

LOOKING BACK AT WAYNEDALE HISTORY

Details

In May 1944, Lester and Bertha Umber converted an old gas station at the corner of Lower Huntington Road and Old Trail Road into a hardware store. They started with $700 in inventory and approximately 1000 square foot of floor space. Because World War II was in full swing, product was hard to come by. To make the shelves appear full, Lester would set the item on the shelf and the box it came in next to it.

To maintain a steady income, Lester continued to work full time at General Hosiery while...

Read more...

   

More By This Author

something