This article is based off of information that was on the internet recently and I thought it was pretty good. So many plants that we have in and around our homes actually can prove to be detrimental to our pets. Here is a listing of some of those plants:
*Sago Palms (not to be confused with all palms) can cause liver failure in dogs and cats with the seeds being the most toxic part.
*Lilies: All kinds of lilies can cause your pets kidney failure. Varieties include Easter lilies, Tiger lilies, Daylilies, the lilies in your flower bouquet and even Amaryllis. The pollen can also be bad for your pets.
*Outside perennials such as Foxglove and Lily of the Valley and tropical Oleander can cause your pets heart beat to slow down or even to stop.
*Japanese Yew, a bushy evergreen in your landscape can cause irregular heartbeat and even make it stop, all within hours of digesting the foliage. Surprisingly though, the red berries are not a problem.
*Caster Bean plants that are grown as a huge novelty plant in your summer gardens contain Ricin which can cause multiple organ failure. While all parts of the plant contain Ricin, the seeds are particularly bad. However, if they are eaten but not chewed, they will simply pass right through with no ill effects. Ricin is also deadly to humans.
*Autumn Crocus can effect the process of cell division. Don't confuse Autumn Crocus with Spring Crocus, as the later is totally safe.
*Hops is generally sold with the herbs at your local garden center and apparently used in cooking. Hops can cause temperatures to "skyrocket" in dogs.
*Some foods that are dangerous to your pets include chewing gum, chocolate, avocado, grapes and raisins, garlic and onions, and Macadamia nuts.
While these plants are fairly common and found around the house, it does not mean that your animals will necessarily eat them. Do we eliminate them from our lives? How about the foods list? I don't think so.